Specola Solare Ticinese, Locarno
Welcome | Benvenuto
News and Highlights:
- The Centro Astronomico del Locarnese (CAL) regularly conducts outreach activities. The next event can be found on the CAL homepage.
Rapporto di gestione 2022
- ASST Annual meeting on 13 January 2023
The annual meeting of the Specola Solare Ticinese Association will be held on 13 January 2023 at the Liceo Cantonale in Locarno.
The convocation with the map to reach the Liceo Cantonale in Locarno.
- Solar eclipse on 25 October
The observation of the partial eclipse of the Sun was a great success, also thanks to the very favourable weather. From 11.15 a.m. to 1.15 p.m. it was possible to observe the Sun, with a few groups of spots on the photosphere, marked by the presence of the Moon. A not uncommon but always fascinating phenomenon.
The news in the media:
il Quotidiano (RSI); SeiDiSera (RSI); Telegiornale (TeleTicino)
4th year of the GCOS-funded project completed
At the end of July 2022, the 4th year of the project funded by the GCOS (Global Climate Observing System) and carried out at the Specola Solare Ticinese (SST) and at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH) for the collection, storage and digitization of sunspot data has been completed.
- Sergio Cortesi left us. Doyen of professional and amateur astronomy in Ticino, former director of the Specola Solare Ticinese, with 64 years of activity in the Sunspot observations, among the founders and then long-time president of the Società Astronomica Ticinese, Sergio Cortesi is no longer with us. We will miss him very much.
- RSI La 2 broadcasted on 22th Feb. 2020 a documentary about the activity of Serigio Coresi at the Specola
- Faculae, spots, flares: Solar research at ETH Zurich story published by ETH-library, where the activity of the Specola Solare Ticinese is also mentioned.
- Archiving project of Specola Solare Ticinese sunspot drawings in collaboration with ETH-Zurich University Archives and GCOS